Sunday, August 4, 2013

My mission

   Originally,  I was planning to write about accountability, but I could never get what I wanted to say right in my mind.  So instead I am going to write about a topic that has been foremost on my mind.  That topic is, what is my mission in life, what do I want the over riding theme of my life to be?  My answer, is that I want to be an exceptional person.

   What do I mean by an exceptional person?  I want to be someone who lifts people up, encourages them and be a positive force in their life.  I want to also challenge people to be the best that they can be.  As a Christian there are two commandments that Jesus had for his disciples.  Love God with all of your heart, soul, strength, mind and body and also to love others as you love yourself.  I feel that by reflecting the love of Jesus in my life, and living by his example allows me to fulfill that potential.

   I would like to be seen by others as a warm, funny, caring, compassionate, intelligent and dynamic person.  I want to be someone who using my God given talents can help others find knowledge and ideas to help enrich them.  (This is why I am going for an MLIS degree starting this fall.)   1 Corinthians 1 26 Consider your own call, brothers and sisters: not many of you are wise by human standards, not many where powerful,, not many where of noble birth. 1 Corinthians 2 4-5 My speech and my proclamation were not with plausible words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of the Spirit and of power. So that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God. (Scripture from the NIV Bible.)

   These verses from 1 Corinthians represent what I have been discussing here.  To help people be the best that they can be, not relying on human knowledge, but letting the glory and grace of God guide me to where I am meant to go.  Growing up I didn't get a lot of positive reinforcement, love and encouragement.  So I have decided to make it my mission in life, to give these things to those people in my life.  My wife, family, friends and someday my own children.  This is what I believe and exceptional Christian man, and husband does for his family and friends. This is how I plan on being "above average", by answering the call of the Lord, and to let him work His will through me with the Holy Spirit.

PS: I am also re framing my mission at work, to make the lives of others better, and to be an uplifting and positive force there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment