Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Visable Progress

     This past weekend, I became aware of how silly and potentially harmful a negative thought pattern that I had was.  I was able to take a step (or more) back and see it for what it is.  This thought pattern doesn't represent reality.  As I was talking with my pastor about this issue he said "you are worrying about a bunch of things that haven't even happened yet, and might never happen."  I know that in some of my previous conversations with my parents and others about this topic they have told me this.  That I was engaging in "stinking thinking", on some level I relaized this.  However, this time it kind of sunk in.

   Before now I wasn't able to take a step back and look at my negative ruminations objectivley.  In this case I was able to do that and internally say "hey wait a minute that isn't right", just because I am afraid that this might or is happening that doesn't mean that it is or will.  For me this is big.  Since my teens I have been a pesimmist where negative thought paterns are well established.  To be able to get a bit of distance and to look at this more rationally and objectivley.  So I am very happy about this.  There are some big changes going on in my life right now (ie going back to school), so I am prone to more anxiety then usual, but I must be making signifigant progress if I was able to break out of this patern long enough to see the flaw in my thought patterns.  I thank God and my family for working with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment