Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Expressing My Faith (My testimony)

    Last month I just completed a nine month long intensive Bible study class at my church.  We met every Monday night, and for 2.5 hours we would go over six days worth of material.  In my study of the Old and New Testaments I felt like I was getting to know who God was better.  Also learning about the character of Christ. 

    Often I hear people talking about walking in Jesus's footsteps or immitating his life in our own.  I had a very broad idea what that meant.  In this last year I got a real sense for something that I was missing before, the humanity of Jesus.  Yes He was fully God but he was also fully human.  He came among us so He could understand our suffering in the flesh.  He had already devised a plan to forgive all of our sins, by paying the ultimate sin debt once and for all.  No more burnt or blood offerings were needed.  Jesus as the priest of the New Covenant, died for us to pay for our sins with His blood once and for all.  All we have to do to participate in His new kingdom is to accept that Jesus is the Son of God, and that He died on the cross for the sins of this fallen world.

  It took me years of living the "human life".  I lived for myself, and was accountable to only me.  But thanks to the example I had in my stepfather Gordon Sauer, about how a Christian man treats others, and that the main purpose of living is to live for Christ and to glorify Him whenever we can.  My mom also was an influence here.  She is the one who made me go through Sunday school and confirmation class.  So when I reached the point in my life where I felt that I couldn't do things on my own anymore I had the background and knew enough about God that I knew where I had to go and what I had to do.  I gave myself to God and made him the Savior of my life.  I know try to live everyday for Him.

    The past month or so, I have wrestled with a different question.  As a Christian and a disciple I should be "witnessing" to other people.  I am not one to walk up to people Bible in hand and start preaching.  I rarely mention my faith at work or in public.  If someone asks me I will share my story, but I don't feel that I am called to get up and give a fire and brimstone sermon.  What I have felt a nudge that I can best glorify God by modeling and living my faith through actions.  I wear a cross every day to symbolize my faith.  My lovely wife made it for me and as usual of the jewlrey she makes it is awesome. 

    A thought hit me over the weekend.  If I am going to talk about my faith with people, what I need is an opening or an opportunity.  A way I can show my faith in a unique way, and pique people's curiosity without it being blatlently obvious and in your face.  I think that is what turns a lot of people off about religion and how some people choose to express their faith right now, it is in your face and shoved down your throat.  No one want's to be told what to believe or think.  One of the most awesome things about being a Christian is that God gives us all free will and that it is our choice to seek him out.  No manipulation or force.  I can witness for Christ in this way.  Just be there every day and living by His example.  When someone comes up to me and asks me about my faith then I can share my story.  Not tell them what to believe or that they will go to Hell.  But to let them know how and why I met God and how he saved my life and the love and peace that he has for me. To let them know what He did in my life.  A part of me is dead, I have been reborn and am a new person.  I have thought of a way to symbolize this and I have asked for Charlie's help with this.  I am excited about this and that I have found a way to express my faith in a way that fits my personality.


No comments:

Post a Comment